Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Graham Crackers! Airplanes! What a Duo!

Some people that I know are really into the organic food movement that seems to be sweeping parts of the country. Honestly, I'm really not, but I understand and appreciate the value of wholesome ingredients in the foods that we eat. At the risk of offending people on either end of the spectrum, I simply have to say that we squeeze in what fits into our lifestyle, attempting to make it as healthy as possible without completely breaking our budget. Silas eats processed foods like Cheerios, but he does not eat chicken nuggets and french fries every day (especially not in the place of his vegetables!). When my friend Stacy from Minnesota blogged about some graham crackers that she makes for her kids from a site called weelicious.com, I checked it out and decided I had to give it a go!


Here is the recipe for these graham crackers. Silas eats lots of graham crackers, and since the recipe promised that they were easy I thought, "Why not?" one day during his nap time. We were not disappointed! It all blends together quickly and easily in the food processor, and then you roll out the dough and cut it into shapes of your choice. As you might recall from the last post, Silas has a bit of an appreciation for airplanes right now, so ours are airplane-shaped, courtesy of a $1 cookie cutter found in a toy store. They are delicious, as are most foods that contain honey and cinnamon, and I know what ingredients are going into them. One adjustment I have made is increasing the amount of whole wheat flour from 1 cup to 1-1/2 cups, and accordingly cutting down the all-purpose flour from 1-1/2 cups to 1 cup. Don't worry...it doesn't make them too dry! Would this face lie? He only has one in each hand.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment