Wednesday, February 8, 2012

One More Week

Have I mentioned that I have an extremely fabulous mother-in-law? For the past year and a half she has kept Silas on Wednesdays for us so that I can go to work, and she is continuing to keep Silas on Wednesdays for us now that I am on maternity leave with George. With Silas at his Mimi's today, it frees me up to get in extra cuddles with George, write a blog post, and mop my floors for the first time in six weeks. (Don't judge me; at least I have been vacuuming and sweeping.) So, this blog post is courtesy of Susan, who is keeping half of my work load (and joy!) during the daytime today. I'm sure you're excited.

I'm so ready to begin jogging again. I self-prescribed myself a four-week recovery, and today marks George's third week of life. I honestly feel physically ready to begin jogging again and get some of this pregnancy weight off, but I'm still pretty drained from all of these middle-of-the-night feedings. I'm kind of hoping that one more week will get us in a few longer stretches of sleep so that I can begin the process of building myself up for the Memorial Marathon relay at the end of April. We have already signed up and paid the money, so there is no backing out of this thing! Our participants will be family members, including BJ, who is running a 10K, my mom and sister, who are both running 5K's, and BJ's cousin Jordan, who has generously volunteered to take the lakeside 12K leg. I myself will be running a 10K leg, which leaves me something like nine weeks to go from my current state to a 6.1 mile jog.

This year I did not set a specific New Year's resolution, but I did resolve to maintain a new attitude. Although it's difficult to put my intentions into words, the new attitude is something like 'Do what I can to the best that I can, but don't worry when it isn't perfect.' I say this now because I know that, realistically, running the entire leg is probably not going to happen. My attitude will be that that is okay and I can still celebrate what I do run, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cut myself a bunch of slack either. I'm definitely hoping to run at least four miles of this thing and shed the rest of this weight before we start trying for baby number three. I will accomplish this in part by leaving the boys with BJ so that I can jog solo, but we also purchased a used version of my dream stroller, the double BOB (the used version saved us 300 dollars!). We plan to purchase the infant seat adapter for this stroller so that we can begin using it immediately for errands. BJ, however, was making the argument that I ought to be able to begin jogging even with George in the stroller, provided that he is in his car seat facing the rear and the seat is covered with a blanket so that he doesn't gulp air. I wasn't so sure and began arguing that I think he needs to be older before I can start jogging with him. And then BJ jokingly delivered his bomb:

"I doubt that you're going to be generating tremendous wind speed."

Word for word, that's what he said. I laughed, swatted him, and called him a jerk. I know I jog at the pace of a turtle, but come on! Distance is more important than speed for me, but maybe I can let this be some comical inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment