Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dissed!



Riding in the wake of a post that illustrated some recent conversations with Silas, here is another story that left me shaking my head with a smile. On Monday, the boys and I were enjoying the warm weather on the deck and I was cleaning Tex's ears. Silas approached me with a concerned look on his face and said, "Mommy, only doctors should do that." I replied to him, hand on hip, "Well, I AM a doctor." The kid responds by dissolving into laughter and exclaiming, "No, you're not!"
I said back to him, "I am too. I'm a sort-of doctor. I'm the kind of doctor that helps people by listening to their problems. When I go to work on the days that you stay with Natalie and Grammy, all the kids there call me Dr. Potter." Silas considered this for a minute; he had an amused smile on his face, eyes narrowed with suspicion and glued to mine, and he carefully weighed this information to determine if it was the truth or if I was feeding him a crock of crap. Ultimately, he decided the latter because he busted a huge grin, as if to say, 'You didn't get me this time!' and emphatically said, "No, you're not!"

I couldn't help but laugh and realize, of course he can't understand this. He doesn't see me as anyone other than his mother, and he can't imagine the different roles that I play in life. It's like when you're a young kid and you happen to spot your teacher shopping in the produce aisles at the grocery store, and it suddenly hits you that your teacher is a person, a real one that eats groceries! And who is that kid with her? She has a kid?! She's a MOM?!

So, there you have it. Slammed by a two-year-old. Womp womp womp.

No comments:

Post a Comment