Monday, January 9, 2012

A List of Difference-Makers

I feel like so many things are intersecting in my life lately. It reminds me of the quote from 'Sleepless in Seattle' when Rob Reiner asks, "What do they call that, when everything intersects?" Tom Hanks sarcastically states in response, "The Bermuda Triangle."

This weekend I turned 31 years old, despite my kind sister-in-law's 'reminder' that I'm really only 26. I am days away from giving birth to another child, although that number of days remains to be seen at this point. Conveniently, this weekend BJ introduced me to the ideas of an author he has been following, a man by the name of Derek Sivers. Mr. Sivers appears to have dabbled in all kinds of life experiences, and he recently shared a blog post in which he compiled a list of meaningful people in his life. 

The project inspired by Mr. Sivers got me thinking this weekend, as I feel that things are, oh, culminating for me right now. How many people have intersected into my own 31 years of life and directed me, knowingly or unknowingly, along the path that I have taken? In the past few days I have spent many hours thinking of my life from start to finish, as best I can remember, and making note of people who have changed me, inspired me to stretch, spoken words I have never forgotten, or fostered something within me that I previously didn't know was there. This list consists only of people I have personally met and is as chronologically in order as I can remember. Many of them may not remember me and some of them have passed away, but it does not diminish the effect they had on me. Last names for many of these people have also changed, but I listed them as I remember most of them in my heart. To the people on this list, a hearty thank you. If you should happen to see your name on this list, I'd be happy to share with you the reason(s) why you are there. Spending time compiling this list has brought me joy.


Bill and Cindy Hughes
Bill “Papa” and Jenny “Grandma” Hughes
Christa Hughes
Billy Hughes
Sara Dilks
Lois Sturch
Jerry and Dixie Cason
"Uncle" Kevin Wigginton
Candace Shephard
Kristal Lounge
Carolyn Snavely
Linda Warford
David Daniel
Kyla Coker
Dr. Roy Stevens, Dr. Raymond Krob, and Dr. Robert Markowitz (my TMJ medical dream team)
Holly Wallace
Tammy Patton
Jana Robins
Linzy Lawson
Coach Ken Hogan
Bam Goodnight
Mike Goodnight
Lori White
Kolby White
Liz Butcher
Sharada Price
Dalia and Artie Catalano
Angela Wheeler
Andi Gossett
Jennifer Seeley
Renee Callies
Brianne Genow
Amber Turley
Christi Flagg
Mary Metzger
Diana Jarrett
Renee and Andy Rhodes
Dr. Ed Lawry
Gary Moore
Amy Kramer
Autumn Weant
Kasey Perry
BJ Potter
Robin Hugle
Dr. James Grice
Dr. Nancy Wilkinson
Julie O'Dom
Kent and Konya Martin
Terry and Susan Potter
Brooke Luthye
Matthew Potter
Laurie Lamb
Paul and Karla Wasielewski
Heidi and Billy Weber
Dr. Skye Payne
Dr. Phyllis Solon
Kristin Nelson
Lisa Nippoldt-Baca
Dr. Marcia Bennett
Jenn Schwartz
Sebbie Alderman
Mike Sutton
Jonna Board
Amy Mohney
Lynn Bensinger
Pam Vestal
Trisha Bley
Sommer Marshall
Jenny Woody Hughes
Emily Hooge
Jerry and Pat Bley
Amber and Erik Terrell
Janie Bates
Chanda Kersey
Heidi Holeman
Cyndi Repanshek
Laura Wasielewski
Dr. Donald Brown
Melissa Fixico
Silas Potter
Amanda Kelly
Vicky Hampton
Jeannie Milan
Heidi Bratcher

(Also, I'm sure I forgot people...)

No comments:

Post a Comment