Friday, July 15, 2011

Bossypants

There is a lot of ridiculousness going on in the world these days. Sometimes I pay attention to it and get really upset, and sometimes I would really rather just bury my attention in things that make me laugh. This week has been a mixture of acknowledging crazy politicians with rants to my husband and my poor friend Sara, who happened to walk into my house at the wrong time, and also performing the latter feat of happily ignoring insanity and instead reading Tina Fey's Bossypants during Silas' nap-times and in the evening after he goes to sleep. I've had some extra time on my hands this week since BJ was traveling for work. I've got to say, I do recommend this book! I laughed out loud so many times, and it was a quick and easy read for these hot summer days. My personal taste for humor has always relished the likes of comedians like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Molly Shannon (can you tell I love a great female comedian?), so I absolutely wasn't surprised that I took delight in this read. Fey's humor is honest and self-deprecating, as always, but Bossypants has the serious undertone of the celebration of women despite her joking. Perfect recipe for Jenny-happiness.
I've included one of my favorite quotes below. The book itself kind of jumps back and forth, chronicling everything from early childhood to SNL days to 30 Rock, but she also includes these random short chapters, one of which is entitled "The Mother's Prayer for Its Daughter." In this brief chapter she prays for things like her daughter to be protected, to consume beer instead of crystal meth, etc. and I particularly laughed at this part:

"And when she one day turns on me and calls me a
Bitch in front of Hollister,
Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a
cab in front of her friends,
For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it."

A good day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment