Monday, December 27, 2010

Counting My Blessings (Instead of Sheep)



I love the movie 'White Christmas.' I especially am fond of the couple played by Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby, and my favorite part of the movie is when they sing "Count Your Blessings" by the fire. I was fortunate to watch this movie on Christmas night with BJ after the Thunder game ended. BJ was gracious enough to let us skip the home Thunder game on Christmas night so that we could spend time as a family in our home, doing Christmas-y things like watching a movie. I like the Thunder games, but believe me, I was grateful!

We had an awesome first Christmas with Silas. He was semi-interested in opening gifts and majorly interested in playing with gifts once they were opened. As was expected, he scored quite the loot, so mommy and daddy are going to have to chisel down what is available at any given time to him; otherwise, the living room will look like a jungle gym! We had some good time together on the morning of Christmas Eve. Silas got us up early, but then went down for a super long nap, during which time BJ and I ate breakfast, then sat at the table talking and wrapping Christmas gifts for HOURS. It was lots of fun though. I'm a lucky girl.

I was reading on a friend's blog about a family whose son was born a couple of weeks ago with some substantial health problems, and he passed away on the morning of Christmas Eve after being taken off life support, as it was determined that doctors could no longer do anything for the poor boy. What a way to spend Christmas Eve. My heart ached profoundly for that family as I read about their hardship, and I was once again humbled by the circumstances that I enjoy... This family just lost their son because he could not breathe on his own, and what was my biggest problem of the day? That Silas woke us up too early? That my beautiful son was announcing in a happy voice at the top of his very healthy lungs that he was ready to get up from his crib and play at 6:15 in the morning on Christmas Eve? Geez, what a sacrifice (sarcasm...this is hard to read). I bet that family would have gladly gotten up every day for the rest of their lives at 6:15 if it meant that they could spend more time with their son. I ended up loving every minute of that early morning anyway, because Silas smelled so good and was in a cuddly mood, and I just couldn't stop whispering "Merry Christmas Eve!" into his soft little hair.

So I am counting my blessings. In the pics above you will see my greatest two blessings, BJ and Silas. Silas likes to stand at the edge of the tub watching while his bath is drawn. The other picture was taken on Christmas Eve while opening oodles of presents. I hope that yours was as merry as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment