Monday, October 25, 2010

Signing up!

Today it looks cold and gray outside, which puts me in an excellent fall-ish mood. Thus, I have the first batch of fresh cranberry sauce bubbling on the stove. This is one of my favorite fall desserts, and this time I'm using a recipe from the magazine Real Simple, which calls for a bag of cranberries, apple juice, sugar, and bourbon. Yum. Cranberry sauce is much easier to make than is typically presumed to be, and it's one of those things that tastes a bazillion times better than its canned counterpart. So here's to the new cranberry recipe... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tonight I am officially signing up for the Edmond Turkey Trot. I had previously set the goal for myself that I would not let myself sign up (even though I wanted to) until I was at least halfway to my time and/or distance goal. The trail that I run on is about .9 miles, so it's not perfectly easy to figure out what 1.6 miles is on that trail. However, I know that I pretty consistently run an 11-1/2 minute mile (don't laugh...well, okay, you can laugh). Thus, I figured about 18 minutes would do the trick time-wise. Just to be a smart-ass, I ran 19 minutes yesterday and nearly killed poor Tex, my somewhat heavyset yellow Lab who ran with me. He laid down on the front lawn as I was coming in the door, but pulled a quick recovery when he learned he was about to make a fun trip to his crazy grandma's house. I'll save the story of why we call my mom CG (crazy grandma) for another day, but she does not actually have mental health problems, as one might assume from this name. So last month at this time I was just a chump, and now I'm a chump that can run a mile and a half. My treat for myself in accomplishing this goal is to sign for this 5K already. Yes! And in doing so, I learned yesterday that I have three running partners signing up with me. A shout-out to BJ, Christa, and David for doing me a solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment