Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Oh what a beautiful mornin', oh what a beautiful day! I've got a beautiful feeling, everything's goin' my way."  Happy Thanksgiving, dear friends! I wish you all wonderful days spent with family, friends, and good food.

Last night a cold front swept through Oklahoma, making for a (literally) freezing day with a biting north wind. Beautiful weather for running, I say. Above you will find an extremely photogenic image of me crossing the finish line of the Edmond Turkey Trot 5K run, my long-awaited goal! My official time was 41 minutes, but that was never important to me in the first place. I told BJ, "I'm dedicating this race to my children, but the whole 'not-stopping' thing is for me."  I was hell-bent on never walking in this race, and it actually seemed easy not to. I think I had so much adrenaline pumping! I knew before I ever even hit the halfway mark that I was going to be absolutely fine in accomplishing this goal. In the beginning of the race it was funny because hundreds of people were rushing past me. I refused to let myself feel demoralized by this, however, because I had expected it, and I told myself I wasn't running for time. After the initial wave of people had finished passing me, I turned to the other turtle runners around me and said, "Good! Now all the fast people are out of the way!" and got a good laugh. I think they helped block the wind for me. In the end though, it was me passing others, people who likely originally passed me and then were not able to maintain the pace and eventually had to resort to walking. In all humility, however, I will certainly note that the finisher that crossed just in front of me appeared to be about four years old (I'm hopeful for my own reputation that this little boy did not actually run the entire race, but perhaps he did). =)

BJ finished the race in 32 minutes, then ran to the car to get the camera so that he could capture my finishing moment. Thank you to BJ. You're the best. Also, I'm sorry that I yelled at you this morning, although the yelling was mutual... it all began when we got to the race and I realized that I forgot to bring our race numbers with us, and then like most couples on the Amazing Race, we simply fell apart and began pointing fingers instead of uniting as a team. In the end, all was fine and the Turkey Trot people didn't give a flying flip that we didn't bring our numbers.

After the race I cried. It's true. I am so emotional. It's just so appropriate that this race was on Thanksgiving Day. I am so thankful for Silas, for BJ, for our families, and for our health. Thank you, thank you, thank you. =)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment