Saturday, February 5, 2011

We Need Plows...Or Smarts

City governments in Oklahoma sure don't know how to handle this whole 'snow' thing. You'd think as much snow and ice as we've gotten in the last several winters, they would start figuring out a way for this kind of weather to not cripple our functioning! Now, I know that I'm spoiled because I spent four winters in Minneapolis, and they really know how to handle the snowfall. Plows are out immediately, salt is dispensed along the roadways, and voila, it's all good. Feasibly, I understand that Oklahoma cannot invest the financial resources into snow removal that Minnesota can, because we get a foot of snow a year and Minnesota gets at least five.  In the four winters I was there, one can deduce that I probably witnessed about 20 feet of snowfall, and with all of this we only had TWO snow days in the entire time I lived there.  Now, I'm not dissing Oklahomans in general, don't misunderstand me. We know how to handle the weather patterns that predominantly affect us around here, namely thunderstorms and tornadoes.  I just think that it's amazing that the cities around here can't make snow removal better for people to some degree. For those of you who don't live in this immediate area, what basically happened is that the Oklahoma City metro got about 8 to 12 inches of snow (depending on what part of the metro you're in) with some crazy high-speed winds and a little bit of ice on Monday night and all day Tuesday. Understandably, all schools and most businesses were closed on Tuesday and even Wednesday. But Thursday and Friday roll around and the road conditions are still HORRIBLE for the most part, except for the interstates, which are fine. School isn't back in session still, and my boba tea cafe has not reopened. Grr! City streets are coming along, but still are pretty bad in lots of places. And neighborhood streets, well...don't even get me started. Basically, the city doesn't plan to plow ANY of the neighborhood streets, and Moore is not alone in this! So we have approximately 8 to 12 inches of snow out in our cul-de-sac right now, and we will until this all melts, which doesn't appear to be anytime soon. And to top things off, I have seen no plows recently, and the trucks that we have seen are going around dispensing not salt, but sand. Sand. Please! No wonder schools aren't back in session. Can we figure this out please?

1 comment:

  1. yeah, it's crazy! we got lucky and someone plowed our street for us :)

    ReplyDelete