Friday, March 4, 2011

Meeting Pioneer Woman

I think that there may be about five people in this country who aren't reading Pioneer Woman's blog. If you are one of those five people, click here to join in the fun. Pioneer Woman, hereafter referred to as PW in this post, is actually a nice lady named Ree Drummond who is responsible for the Pioneer Woman website and resulting books, The Pioneer Woman Cooks and The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love Story. PW is an inspiration to me and she represents so much of what I aspire to be in life: happily married, mother of four, person-who-has-it-together-and-cooks-delicious-meals-and-writes-well-and-loves-contributing-to-her-family, and lives in Oklahoma to boot (and loves it!). Some of this I already am, especially the happily married, mother of one, loves to cook and contribute to my family and live in Oklahoma parts. The other parts of that, I can only dare to dream. So today, incidentally, I decided to purchase PW's cookbook and thought I might as well look to see when her next book signing in the OKC area was. Ah, I discovered it was in approximately 45 minutes, and it was happening 7 miles south of my house in Norman, OK. Incredibly perfect timing! So Silas and I loaded up and headed down to meet PW and purchase her book!

We got there before the signing and were still 258th in line, but since they were handing out tickets, we decided to leave and go grocery shopping before coming back later. Poor Silas just wasn't having it after about 30 minutes of waiting once we got back, but luckily PW saw my plight and moved me to the front of the line. The people behind me in line were totally fine with this, and I wish them all good karma for understanding the limitations of baby-adventures. Silas and I got the book signed and even got a pic!

You can see that Silas is clearly making a dive from mommy's arms to PW. Can't say I blame him.

I realize now that my post Books and Needles from earlier this week was a little hasty in finalizing my book-reading list for 2011. Obviously I need to read PW's cookbook, as it promises goodies such as Cowboy Nachos, potato-leek pizza, sour cream pancakes, and pineapple-upside-down-cake in an iron skillet. Also included on the need-to-read list this year are Hereafter, which is now available on Amazon by my friend Tara Hudson, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which BJ was so kind as to have signed for me, and the first of the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace. My work is cut out for me.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're going to read Betsy Tacy! You wont be sorry! I'm just starting Mrs. Roberto of the Moosepath League books and my friends keep having to hear me tell crazy convoluted and over-detailed stories about snowball fights and smugglers and runaway hats. Thanks for the recommendation. Oh, and I have to run 9 miles tomorrow and am scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love me some PW recipes!

    ReplyDelete